Forums

A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coinbrag.com Coin Database & Price Guide :: Bugs/Suggestions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
What would you like to see?
Go to page  1 [2]
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
Nicholas
Tue Jun 14 2011, 06:07am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Ok it's ugly, but you can see a preview of the new data that's currently being included in classes: Rough, rough draft

Coin Type will denote if a coin is a regular circulating coin (business strike), a circulating commemorative, or a non-circulating commemorative. I will probably add Medal and Token as options as well but we'll see.

Class is just the general name for the type series, Draped Bust Cent for example.

Nicknames are the unofficial names given to the coins or the AKA. Mercury Dime is the nickname of the liberty head dime. Toonies are another name for 2 dollar Canadian coins.

Country is Also Known As (AKA): My example isn't so good here. Nippon for Japan, Shquiperia or whatever for Albania, Republique Francais.

Denomination on coin: 1 Yen would be: -圓 or something to that effect.

Edge is the type of edge: smooth, reeded, etc.

weights will be entered in grams, I'll figure out the easiest way to add 1 oz bullion coins so we don't need calculators

diamater is measured in millimeters.

The obverse and reverse designs are brief descriptions. Coming up with uniform words/phrases will be key. For instance, I use "side portrait" but I think "bust" would be better. The designers are the artists.

I moved around the credits for picture uploads. I plan to move a lot of this around. I may create one line for the various submitters. Once classes are submitted, this page will have the original person who submitted the coin to the database, the name of the person who submitted the class, and then the names of the person who submitted the obverse picture as well as the person who submitted the reverse picture. It could very possibly be 4 different names or just 1 name displayed 4 times.

Alt calendar and alt year will help us for the AH dates among others. Then I added 3 fields for materials. I'm aware some coins have more than 3 materials, but usually the others are less than 1%. There's also a field to calculate total melt value. I'm not positive how accurate this will be as I'll have to create a global variable on the website for each metal's weight--which can be tedious. I'm thinking of adding some sort of disclaimer that says it's a ballpark figure. That or I'll see about finding a company who'll feed us that info for a reasonable price.

There's actually more fields for the classes but they are not displayed on that page. Among them is a field for all of the mints for a particular class as well as the first and last years the type class was minted.

I'll be adding another search method that will allow the browsing of classes. There will also be an add page for adding classes as well as an editing page.

You may also notice on that page, up to the left where the original coin data is, I've added a field called sub country. The idea is to use the for things like Weimar Republic or Third Reich.

Again, this is a very rough draft. I'm going to add a couple of other fields. I'll be renaming and reorganizing them. I just thought some of you might want to see a preview.

Website
Ecosse
Wed Jun 15 2011, 10:49am
Registered Member #1065
Yes, I think it's desirable to have as many data fields as possible (and relevant). Not sure about this nickname/slang name business though...but, that's just my opinion.

[ Edited Wed Jun 15 2011, 10:50am ]
Nicholas
Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:18pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
For US coins the nickname will be useful as a lot of coins are given two names.

five-cent pieces are commonly referred to as nickels. Then you've got Buffalo nickels that are also called Indian Head nickels. So having the field will be useful for further developments to the site. I imagine one day having an actual search bar where you could just type "1985 US nickel" and CoinBrag will actually know what you're looking for. That takes a lot of programming but it's on the to do list.

I don't think we're in danger of having too much info for a few reasons. I can do a few things to cut back on the amount of data displayed. Like short view/long view.

Also, with classes. We don't have to type in all of this data for each coin. For instance, in the coin I used for the example, the class data for the Lincoln Wheat cent would be applied to all of the U.S. cents between 1909 and 1958 (except for the 1909 indian head of course). All that will need to be done is do assign a class number to each of those coins and they'll all share the same information. It will still take some time to assign class numbers to the 200 coins, but that's much less work than manually adding that data for each coin.

After talking with Aidan, I am going to add fields for catalog numbers for other catalogs too. For instance, Krause uses KM 132 for that coin. I also recall wanting to add a field for key dates.

I wanted to add thickness to the classes as well but that data is not as common as diameter measurements. I also do not have a device to measure it myself so maybe we'll leave that off for now.

Is there anything else you all think we might be missing?

[ Edited Wed Jun 15 2011, 01:20pm ]
Website
BCNumismatics
Wed Jun 15 2011, 03:40pm
Registered Member #378
Nicholas,
There needs to be information fields for alignment & edge type as well.

Of course,there would need to be some way to indicate error coins,off-metal strikes,& pattern coins as well,as there are some pattern coins that remain unlisted in Krause.

Aidan.
Nicholas
Thu Jun 16 2011, 01:51am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
Edge is already an option for classes but alignment is a good addition as well.
Website
BCNumismatics
Thu Jun 16 2011, 05:29pm
Registered Member #378
Nicholas,
All the more reason to try the trial version of Numissoft to do a test.

If it works,then you can download a freeware source code viewer to see how the program has been constructed.

Aidan.
Nicholas
Tue Jul 19 2011, 12:49am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
Ok moving has really held up my work as well as my plans for CoinBrag. I was hoping to have the classes live by now. I'll try to get something permanent in the next few days.
Website
BCNumismatics
Tue Jul 19 2011, 04:58am
Registered Member #378
Nicholas,
You can have a maximum of 40 information fields if you install Numissoft's coin gallery program.

I think it is the same for Numissoft's banknote gallery program as well.

Aidan.
Nicholas
Wed Jul 27 2011, 11:08pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
Well I've gotten some more work done on this but I added so many fields that it's going to take a while to get it working. Hopefully a few more days and I'll have something visible on the site.
Website
Go to page  1 [2]  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF