Forums

A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coin Chat :: General Coin Chat

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Help Wanted: Building a guide to coins from east Asia
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
Nicholas
Sat Mar 27 2010, 01:06am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
OK so I've got a chart of Japanese numbers in our Free Downloads area which helps figure out some dates. But there's no mention of how Japan dates their coins using the era title of the current reigning emperor. Whether dates should be read right to left or from left to right are also not indicated.

China, Taiwan, the Koreas and Thailand are not much better.

So I think we need to put together a guide. I can use pictures from our database to use as examples but I'll need some help with the finer details.

For instance, kaija recently pointed out that Taiwanese coins from 1911-current treat 1911 as the beginning of their dating system. Which means a coin dated 2000 would be year 89. The date is written as 8 10s plus 9 (8x10+9) however it's written from right to left so you would see the character for 9 then 10, then 8.

I'm hoping this thread can be used for you all to contribute some of your knowledge to help flesh out the guide. What else do we need to know? :)
Website
KSP
Sat Mar 27 2010, 08:14am
Registered Member #172
Well, Japanese coins are relatively easy, especially on modern coins. Modern coins read left to right and as you said take the year from the emporer...but this falls down on earlier coins where it is read right to left..and I don't know the cut off point for that.

Thai coins are difficult to the western eye. There isn't much difference between some of the numbers. Even with a number chart in front of you it is sometimes difficult to read the occasionally squashed up coin dates...anyhoo, once you have the numbers read from left to right. You only have to subtract the number 543(Thailand beng 543 ahead of us in their calender)..so, a date sequence of 2542 would equal 1999. Again, old thai coin dating is more complicated. I believe there is a variation. but the -543 system is normal on all modern Thai coinage.

[ Edited Sat Mar 27 2010, 08:16am ]
Nicholas
Sat Mar 27 2010, 11:55am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
I found a Thai numerals chart on wikipedia: 0-9 in Thai but as you said, it's not always easy to see those on a coin. The four, five and eight look very similar. I can see about making a chart for these characters though and make them bigger so at least we'll know what we are looking for.

0-9
??????????

[ Edited Sat Mar 27 2010, 12:01pm ]
Website
BCNumismatics
Wed Jun 02 2010, 10:10pm
Registered Member #378
You can find numeral charts near the front of Krause.

I can read Arabic numerals as part of the process of attempting to convert AH dates to AD.

Aidan.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF