Forums

A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coin Chat :: Coin Help

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Society for creative anarchronism coin/token.
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
KSP
Fri Sep 04 2009, 10:25am
Registered Member #172
I have two coins/tokens that an aging california hippy gave me a few years back. As far as the internet can tell me, these hand hammered coins belong to some medieval society called 'Society for creative anachronism' The hippy person told me they were worth money.

Can anyone shed any more light on these?

Nicholas
Fri Sep 04 2009, 07:09pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Hey,

Those are some pretty cool pictures.

The SCA is a pretty big organization in the Renaissance Faire world I think. SCA's website.

I know I've seen things for sale on eBay and they will frequently say "SCA compliant" or something for the clothing or armor. I guess they also mint coins for the full effect. I know the NERO roleplayers have their own coins too. I saw some at one of the sci-fi conventions I attended a few years ago. Nero was using plastic coins though I think.

I'd be interested to learn more about them.

I've also been neglecting coins like this from the database and I need to figure out the best way to classify/sort them. I'm open to ideas.
Website
Nicholas
Fri Sep 04 2009, 07:17pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Also "sancta hildegard ensis" translates to "follower of Saint Hildegard" I think. I have little experience with Latin.
Website
KSP
Sun Sep 06 2009, 06:35am
Registered Member #172
Hi, thanks for your input. I did go to a renaissance faire once while I was in USA...I left with mixed feeling about the experience.

Anyhoo, the scanty internet information available seems to show that the 1st coin with Janos and Rachel and the platypi on it seems to have been minted in 2001. The other coin I am clueless about.

As for including such coins in the database, I am unsure how they could be catalogued. I hoped I'd find them in Krauss's Unusual coins book, but alas no.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF