Forums

A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coin Chat :: General Coin Chat

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
The Obverse side of Coins from the United Kingdom
Go to page  [1] 2
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
Nicholas
Mon Oct 18 2010, 10:24pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Following an ancient tradition, the obverse side of UK coins of (and predecessor kingdoms going back to the middle ages) almost always feature the head of the monarch.

Traditionally, each British monarch faced the opposite direction of his or her predecessor. Hence, George VI faced left and the present Queen faces right. The only break in this tradition almost occurred in 1936 when Edward VIII, believing his left side to be superior to his right, insisted on his image facing left, as his father's image had. No official legislation prevented his wishes being granted, so left-facing obverses were prepared for minting. Very few examples were struck before he abdicated later that year, but none bearing this portrait ever were issued officially. When George VI acceded to the throne, his image was placed to face left, implying that, had any coins been minted with Edward's portrait the obverses would have depicted Edward facing right and maintained the tradition.

I was unaware such a tradition existed but that is pretty cool to learn.
Website
EgCollector
Tue Oct 19 2010, 03:42pm
Registered Member #693
Very interesting, thanks a lot for the info :)
KSP
Tue Oct 19 2010, 07:00pm
Registered Member #172
Yes, I knew that, but very interesting. I think England is also maybe the only country whose coins do not mention the country name. Personally, I hate English money, hate looking at the Queen of England's noggin..I'm a Scottish republican who is fighting for Scottish independence. I'll only be happy when they chop all their bleedin' heads off! Haha..sigh..at least we got Scottish banknotes.
BCNumismatics
Sun Oct 24 2010, 07:48am
Registered Member #378
Kaija,
I'm also of Scots descent myself,but I am not a republican at all.

Queen Elizabeth II may be Queen of England,but she is also as much Queen of Scotland,Ulster,& Wales as well.

She is a direct descendant of Mary,Queen of Scots through a daughter of King James VI of Scotland / I of England.

Aidan.
Nicholas
Sun Oct 24 2010, 09:57am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
I don't have any political thoughts on an independent Scotland since I'm uneducated on the issue...unless owning a copy of Braveheart counts?

I would be in favor of Scotland having it's own coins, which I would hope they would do as opposed to just hopping onto the Euro.

kaija, Scotland currently has it's own banknotes in circulation? I was not aware of that.

[ Edited Sun Oct 24 2010, 09:58am ]
Website
BCNumismatics
Sun Oct 24 2010, 04:50pm
Registered Member #378
Nicholas,
The idea of an independent Scotland is actually not popular with a majority of Scots people.As for republicanism,it is associated with terrorism,especially that committed by Sinn Fein/I.R.A. & its splinter outfits in both countries on the isle of Ireland.A significant proportion of Scotland's population are sympathetic to the hardline factions of Ulster Unionism,even to the extent of supporting the Protestant-dominated paramilitary groups,especially the Ulster Defence Association & the Ulster Volunteer Force.

As for the idea of Scots coins being put into circulation,it would be nice,but economic policy is not a devolved matter - which means it is controlled from Westminster,not Holyrood.

Scotland is not the only British country that has its own notes in circulation.Ulster (Northern Ireland) also has their own notes as well.

Curiously,no banknotes are legal tender in either Scotland or Ulster - not even the Bank of England's notes are legal tender in both countries.

It is Wales that is the odd one out,as it has been precluded from putting its own banknotes into circulation,although there was an attempt from 1969 until around 1978 to get Welsh currency into circulation - the famous 'Black Sheep' notes that were issued by the Chief Treasury of Wales Limited & the Black Sheep Company of Wales Limited.

Aidan.

[ Edited Sun Oct 24 2010, 04:51pm ]
KSP
Sun Oct 24 2010, 05:36pm
Registered Member #172
It's not that simple BC. There is a protestant element in Scotland that is largely loyal to the crown yes. The last referendum in 1973 showed around 51% in favour of indendence. For some reason though, the English made the pass mark 75%. That was then. Republicanism is not associated with terrorism in any way. It is inherently different in Scotland as opposed to Northern Ireland. Those views you have espoused are tiringly in line with English media propaganda and indeed Scottish loyalist propaganda. Propaganda and media bias are the greatest enemies of the Scottish people. Actually, I am not Scottish, but I have lived 11 out of the last 13 years in that country. Here on the east coast, away from Strathclyde and away from Edinburgh..the story is hugely different. It may surprise you BC, but the SNP..Scottish National Party, whose key aim is independence CURRENTLY hold the balance of power in Holyrood. As far as I know, they are not a terrorist organisation or have ever been. Your views are out of date mister, and are guarenteed to light a fuse with almost all Scots,

Nicholas, currently, we have a unique situation of three national banks all issuing bank notes. The Royal Bank of Scotland, The Bank of Scotland..and the Clydesdale Bank. Each of these has old and new notes in circulation...effectively giving us SIX different sets of banknotes. Of coins, it's simply a matter of time before Scottish coinage is restarted. Had I been aying this before this world recession, I would say they would have almost certainly have been Euro coins..but, now I'm not so sure.

Braveheart heh. Wallace is a great hero of Scotland...but the movie was a bit fanciful..but then..its a movie!

[ Edited Sun Oct 24 2010, 07:26pm ]
BCNumismatics
Sun Oct 24 2010, 08:40pm
Registered Member #378
Kaija,
Have a read here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_independence & here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unionism_in_Scotland .

My family are very fiercely loyal to the monarchy,as we regard republicanism with suspicion over here in New Zealand,& that the New Zealand Parliament ignores the wishes of New Zealand's people - a majority of whom are of Scots descent.

Saying that my views in favour of the monarchy is out of date is not correct,as it is Parliament that is out to create trouble,not the monarchy itself or the monarch personally.Prince Charles would make a fine King,as will Prince William & their descendants.

A few weeks ago,a T.V. broadcaster over here caused offence by making racial slurs about the Indian ancestry of the current Governor-General of New Zealand himself.The broadcaster himself ended up resigning from his job.I met the current Governor-General on Anzac Day (25th. of April),& found him to be a real pleasure to chat to,& a real humble & down to earth guy who could understand ordinary New Zealanders' concerns.

When there has been politicians making offensive remarks about the monarchy,including the position of the Governor-General of New Zealand,I have sent them emails to frankly express my anger,as I know this guy; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Hardie_Boys .

As for Scots coins,I don't think that Scotland will be allowed to put its own coins in circulation.

If Scotland was allowed to put its own coins into circulation,then there would most likely be calls for separate coins for England,Ulster,& Wales as well,which means that there would be 5 different series of coins coming out of the U.K. every year.It would be cool to find a Scots coin in change in Wales or a coin from Ulster in change in England.

Aidan.
KSP
Mon Oct 25 2010, 10:48am
Registered Member #172
BC, I meant your views on nationalism and republicanism being aquated to terrorism.

You're fully entitled to hold views supporting the monarchy. I wonder though, if New Zealanders would be so happy if New zealand was brought in to being part of the United Kingdom, and them all resources of the country raped..oil revenue(if you had any) plundered..in effecting New Zealand having all it's resources taken, industry destroyed and unemployment rates of 14.1%..and not recently 14.1% , but more or less constant for the last 20 years. I am a citizen of this country and have the right to vote...and I will vote SNP as I've always done and campaign for full independence..I'm glad you do not vote here. Hmm, people in Canada and New Zealand etc I feel have this romantic notion of United Kingdom..even in USA, they do love the royals...but here, where it counts, it is of course a different story.

BTW. you probably know that no scottish bankntes have ever featured royalty on them..unlike New Zealands.

As for political based Wiki articles, they are not worth the paper they are written on..if they were written on paper :)

BC, I respect your knowledge on coins, and took especial interest in the Scottish coinage you added...but we are miles apart on this issue. And so be it.
BCNumismatics
Mon Oct 25 2010, 01:56pm
Registered Member #378
Kaija,
The Royal Bank of Scotland Plc. has depicted Queen Elizabeth,the Queen Mother (in 2000 to mark her 100th. birthday),& Queen Elizabeth II (in 2002 to mark 50 years of her reign) on banknotes.

You can see my commemorative Scots banknotes up on here; http://www.banknotebank.com/collection/BCNumismatics .

As for the S.N.P.,they're opportunists like all of New Zealand's politicians are.Alex Salmond is flogging a dead horse,as it were.If I was in Scotland,I would find their openly anglophobic views totally at odds with my Protestant belief system.Yes,I am an Anglican,despite my Orcadian Norse & Scots descent.

I have been told all sorts of stories by supporters of the so-called 'Maori Party' (who are extremely racist to the core like Sinn Fein/I.R.A. & Z.A.N.U.-P.F are) regarding oppression.Traditionally-minded Maoris have no time for the so-called 'Maori Party' or its fellow Maori Nationalist lowlife outfits.The so-called 'Maori Party' openly promotes its apartheid policies by making totally outrageous statements against British New Zealanders,especially on land rights & race relations issues.One of the so-called 'Maori Party's' leaders is an old enemy of mine - Tariana Turia,who likes to lecture people knowing full well that she is an abomination.Five years ago,she had the nerve to lecture me about Christianity in an email.I emailed her back to tell her frankly that she is in no position to lecture me about Christianity,because she isn't one.I also told her that she & one of her sons owes the people of Wanganui both an apology & a new fountain to replace the one that they had destroyed during the illegal occupation of Moutoa Gardens back in 1995 (which Mrs. Turia was directly involved with).I also told her that she will never get any forgiveness at all from me,because she threatened to have me bashed up by gang members back in 1995.She replied back with an email full of lies & telling me never to contact her again.I have kept to this.

No-one has been held accountable for nearly 3 months of hell that the people of Wanganui endured trying to end the illegal occupation of Moutoa Gardens back in 1995.A dirty deal was done in which those who illegally occupied Moutoa Gardens were allowed to get away with it scot-free.Jim Bolger,who was the scumbag Prime Minister from 1990 until 1997 (a Hell-bound republican supporter of Sinn Fein/I.R.A.,an idolatrous worshipper of Popes of Rome,& an extremely corrupt dictator.) decided off his own back to sell out the people of Wanganui,whose local government requested help to end the illegal occupation by peaceful means,only to be denied it.In 1996,the Labour Party (or 'Liebour') decided to appoint Mrs. Turia to a seat in Parliament in which she was allowed to continue to promote her abominable sentiments.

In the last few years,Mrs. Turia has been trying to bully the people of Wanganui into getting the spelling of Wanganui's changed to 'Whanganui'.The people of Wanganui voted in 2 referenda in 2006 & early 2009 overwhelmingly 'No' to any change.Both times,Mrs. Turia has called the people of Wanganui as racist & came out with outrageous statements of human rights abuses.Naturally,I expressed my anger when it was put to the New Zealand Geographic Board.Their attitudes towards Wanganui's heritage has come in for a ton of condemnation,especially when they bought Tariana Turia's lies hook,line,& sinker,& recommended that the spelling of Wanganui's name be changed.Just before Christmas,the New Zealand Government announced that Wanganui's name would be left as is,but the Government would be forcing its departments to spell Wanganui's name as 'Whanganui',which is totally incorrect - & extremely provocative.

Naturally,all of New Zealand's M.P.s (nearly half of whom are NOT elected by the people,but appointed by the political parties) got an email from me letting them know that their attitudes on race relations is an abomination.I expressed my views frankly on the dispute over the spelling of Wanganui's name.I also told them that Wanganui's people have had a gutsful of having their rights trampled on.This includes a right to having their identity & heritage protected.I also expressed my views is favour of Wanganui seceding to become a British colony like the Falkland Islands & Gibraltar,as Wanganui's people are loyal to their monarch through & through.

Republicanism will never be popular with Wanganui's people,especially my family,as we are extremely protective of our royal & viceregal heritage.

Aidan.
Go to page  [1] 2  

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF