A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coin Chat :: Coin Help

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
A coin blank.. but which coin?
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
KSP
Mon May 16 2011, 10:02am
Registered Member #172

I've had this coin blank for ages. It's about 22/23mm in dia. and weighs 6g. I got the blank in a bag of very worn coins of Britain & Ireland from the reign of the King Georges' c. 1760-1820, This is a blank though and not worn or pitted at all. From the context it was found I assume it is British. The farthing of 1799 is 6g and 22mm too. Can this really be a coin blank of a 1799 farthing or similar? I know coin blanks and error coins are well liked in the US..but I'm not sure about interest in UK

Anyhoo, just wanted to share it.
Nicholas
Mon May 16 2011, 10:20pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Well with a near identical weight and shape, that does seem like a possible match.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the values of blank coins though I know there is definitely a good premium to them. I would thank a blank from the 18th century would definitely be worth a large chunk of change. :) I wonder how you could go about verifying the age without damaging the coin?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the bag of coins? I'm just curious if it was like from an estate (less likely to be tampered with) versus a mystery lot purchased through an internet auction.
Website
KSP
Tue May 17 2011, 07:42am
Registered Member #172
A chunk of money you say..hmmm! Oh, I can only hope(probably in vain!). An old neighbour gave me a poly bag comprising 5 coins including the blank. I never gave much thought to it until I fished it out the other day. The biggest clue for me is not the specific size and weight, it's the feel. It's pretty similar in feel to the coins of that period..but you'd have to take my word for that. I'll take it along to an expert, next time I visit Edinburgh.
Nicholas
Tue May 17 2011, 03:37pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
I understand what you mean by the feel of the coin. A lot of those old coins have that sort of feel to them. New coins just don't feel the same.
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF