Forums

A FREE Online Coin Database & Price Guide :: Forums :: Coinbrag.com Coin Database & Price Guide :: Bugs/Suggestions

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
TokenBrag?
Moderators: Nicholas
Author Post
EagleKoinz
Sat Sep 06 2014, 05:00pm
Registered Member #50484
City, State:: New York
Question, Does anybody think we should make a section or website for tokens and/or pressed pennies? You know like the novelty ones you can get at certain locations for 50 cents? Let me know if you agree.

PS. Nicholas, do you think you'll start up note brag again?
Nicholas
Sun Sep 07 2014, 06:39am
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
City, State:: Ocala, Florida
Yes, I think we should definitely have both. There are thousands of different tokens and pressed pennies. In the past what held me back was trying to decide how to best sort them.

Would we keep it separate by countries and denominations and years?

How would companies fit into the sorting?

For instanced we could have:

Continent>Country>Entity>Denomination>Year>Variation

With the example above "entity" would be company or organization that made the token or pressed/elongated coin.

Are there any situations where that would not work or would not be enough separation?

It would definitely take some coding on my part. I would need to create a separate database table with slightly different fields and then tweak the searches accordingly--not impossible but it would take some time to do.

Adding them would probably need a different format too. Right now we have a country list drop down list as well as denominations. With the tokens we'd have to either have another list for all possible companies/organizations or just a text field for people to type them in. What worries me about having a text field like that is one person could put in "Disney" while another might enter "walt disney" and suddenly we have duplications. However, we could consider both the tokens and pressed coin areas as "beta" and then I could restrict who has permissions to access those areas.
Website
EagleKoinz
Sun Sep 07 2014, 02:02pm
Registered Member #50484
Like I said it's definitely something to consider. But with the pennies and tokens I don't think we should do years unless it is somehow verifiable. Because you know it's nearly impossible to find the date of a pressed penny, I think we should just base them on location.
And we should base them in America only; to make it simple at first and then maybe expand as the idea progresses. What do you think?
EagleKoinz
Sun Sep 07 2014, 04:36pm
Registered Member #50484
Like I said it's definitely something to consider. But with the pennies and tokens I don't think we should do years unless it is somehow verifiable. Because you know it's nearly impossible to find the date of a pressed penny, I think we should just base them on location.
And we should base them in America only; to make it simple at first and then maybe expand as the idea progresses. What do you think?
Nicholas
Fri Sep 12 2014, 12:12pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
Well I am definitely in favor of having tokens and elongated coins on the site. The barrier to having them is the time required to code them into the site. Right now I don't have the time to add them. If I could find a programmer with affordable rates then I could hire someone to help out. But my "affordable rate" at the moment is less than what a professional would accept.

So consider it on our to do list for now. :)
Website
Nicholas
Fri Sep 12 2014, 12:14pm
Deus Ex Machina

Registered Member #1
Oh yes, you made a very good point on years for the pressed pennies. I'm not sure there is a way to tell on most coins since the same machine can use the same dies for years.

Tokens though are another matter as there are many with dates (like the ones used by U.S. companies in the 1800s as alternative currency).
Website

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF